Saturday 16 April 2011

Cant find the I PAD 2 in Kingston; still searching though.

Corey Robinson
Man on the street
ID # 620037031

Let me just tell you man; I love the new Apple iPad 2. My only problem is that I can't seem to locate it at any of the major electronic stores in Kingston as yet. I will keep you posted on the fruits of my quest though.
The Apple iPad 2 is the innovation  of all innovations as it relates to information technology. This device bridges the divide between laptop computers and smart phones in so many ways.
The iPad 2 is a leap up from its little brother, the iPad, featuring several upgrades despite being launched in April, mere months after the launch of the iPad. It is CRAZY, not lying.
What I love about the iPad 2 is that at a mere 1.3 pounds this device is probably the lightest of all pieces of equipment in its class. Seperate from the front and rear cameras (which I am also crazy about), the device's size, weight and sliqueness is probably its most attractive features. I am talking about aesthetics at its finest, ladies and gentlemen!
Whats even more intriguing is that the device comes in black and white; so the choice is yours.
My colleauges have already mentioned the technological aspects of the iPad 2 but I will be doing a major injustice not to mention its A5 dual core processor which makes it twice as fast as the iPad.
The iPad2 rear camera is of superb VGA quality, a photographer's dream to handle. While the front camera, a whopping 720 pixels, is more than perfect for video conferences or just the day to day fooling around. So superb is the quality of the front camera that the device may soon replace the mirror! (Look out ladies, you might soon be fixing your make-up while looking at yourself through the lens of the ipad 2). But seriously, I love the cameras.
If I was amazed at the fact that some Blackberry phones turn to "Lock" mode upon holstering them in their cases, I would be flattened in awe at the capabilities of the iPad 2 carrying case. This is truly smart.
The cases, which come in about 10 colours, not only protects the device from the elements but can also be used to prop the device. Perfect to facilitate the perfect view for watching a movie or while typing.
Magnetic strips inside the cases also lock the device when it is in standby mode. Reasonably, the prices range from US $39.00 for a plastic case, and US $69 for a leather case.
Now down to the meat of the matter; cost.
So I did some research and although the iPad 2 is not cheap (if I should put it that way) its capabilities certainly makes up for its pricing.
The device comes in either WIFI only or WIFI/3G versions, and are equipped with either 16gb, 22gb, and 64 gb memory capacities.
In the US, the price ranges are as follows;
WiFi only: 16 gb: US $499                 WiFi/3G: 16gb: US $529
                  32gb: US $599                                  32gb: US $629
                  64gb: US $699                                  64gb: US $729
Sourcing an  iPad 2 in Jamaica is a little more tedious however. I visited two of the major electronic stores, Watts New and Innovative Systems, and none have any in store.
Watts New in Tropical Plaza, St Andrew, though currently out of stock, sells only the 16gb version of the device.
Its WiFi only version sells for $69, 950 + tax, while its Wifi/3G version sells for $79, 950 + tax.
Innovative Systems sells only the 32 gb version of the I Pad at a cost of $71, 670.
In all fairness, and as I said before, this device is worth every penny. I am certainly looking forward to investing in one of them. I promise to continue sourcing prices for you on the local scene so do stay tuned for updates.

Hey guys, just an update from me again. So I was told that Watts New now has the iPad 2 in stock. You can go check it out! (Photo: Apple.com)


                 Caption: Me chilling with an iPad. Looking forward to getting the iPad 2

No comments:

Post a Comment